Parents want “One Chip Challenge” banned after death of Worcester teen Harris Wolobah

A family from Worcester claims that a 14-year-old passed away shortly after participating in the “One Chip Challenge.”

Lois Wolobah stated, “I hope and pray to God that no parents will go through what I’m going through. “I don’t want to see anyone hurting like I’m hurting,” the person said.

Parents want "One Chip Challenge" banned after death of Worcester teen Harris Wolobah

The family of Harris Wolobah, 14, has been so upset that they haven’t been able to discuss it publicly up to this point. They are fervently trying to spread a warning about a hot tortilla chip they claim he consumed just before he passed away. “I really miss my son. His mother said how much she missed him.


She claimed that on Friday, after receiving a call from the school’s nurse informing her that he had passed out after eating a chip a buddy had given him, she took him up from Doherty High School in Worcester. “What was the chip you ate? I asked him when I got there as he was lying down. And this is what he showed me,” his mother remarked, pointing to a picture of the Paqui brand’s 2023 One Chip Challenge on her phone.

It is packaged in a box with a single chip that is individually wrapped and labeled “Carolina Reaper” and “Naga Viper Pepper.” According to his mother, he later collapsed once more at home, went to the emergency department, and passed away.

His father, Amos Wolobah, declared that he had no pre-existing conditions. “Not that I’m aware of.”

The family is awaiting the results of the upcoming autopsy by the Massachusetts Medical Examiner to learn the cause of death. However, parents are certain that their son’s illness was caused by the chip. He was a healthy basketball player, according to reports, and had no allergies.


The corporation seems to welcome the social media problem surrounding the chip in its marketing videos. The package has a caution label on the back. In addition to other things, it says to “keep out of reach of children.” The chips were located by WBZ in a shop around ten minutes from Wolobah’s school.

The National Capital Poison Center reports that it “contains capsaicin…consumption typically causes mouth and throat pain but can also result in more serious health problems including heart attack and esophageal damage.”


The family of Harris Wolobah is currently pleading with retailers to remove the chips from the shelves. His father said, “We’ve been having restless nights.” “He won’t be coming back,”

WBZ contacted the business Paqui, but they didn’t hear back.

To help with funeral costs, the neighborhood has organized a basketball fundraiser for Saturday at St. Bernard’s church in Worcester.

Leave a Comment